This upcoming LGBT History Month February 2022 we would like to offer our gallery space to an artist to create a solo show of artworks that explore the history of the LGBT community in some way. We are particularly keen to hear from local LGBT artists, young people, and other under-represented groups.
Our vision at The Hive is thriving, creative communities and we support exhibitions of interesting and inspiring visual artwork encouraging local engagement. We do not expect payment for exhibiting artwork in our gallery, only the contribution of an accompanying activity to better understand you and your artistic practice, which could take the form of an artist talk, exhibition tour or creative workshop.
All art forms are welcome to be submitted, though we ask applicants to consider that The Hive is a multifunctional space that can range at times from being a gig venue, a youth club and a toddler play area, so artworks would need to be secure and strong enough to encounter many groups and the odd unsupervised curious hand. As a charity operating on a tight budget The Hive will be unable to assist with the cost of transportation of artworks to and from the gallery, or the cost of framing any of the artworks in the show. Please make clear in your submission how you intend to install and display the artworks in the show.
The exhibition will display for roughly 4 weeks, and The Hive will promote the exhibition and activity online, in our printed brochure and local posters. A private view of the show will be held in an evening at the start to open the show and guests will be welcome to purchase refreshments from our café/bar.
Submission entry cost: Free
Deadline: Monday 1st November 2021
To apply please send one single PDF document including the following:
– High-quality image of several of the artworks to be included in the show
– Artwork titles
– Artwork approx dimensions (height*length*width)
– Medium/materials used
– Year artwork was created
– A short paragraph to explain the concept for the solo show (max 250 words)
– A proposed title for the solo show
– A few lines introducing yourself and your practice (max 100 words)
– The proposed outline of a free engagement activity to go alongside the show, which could be in the form of an artist talk, exhibition tour or creative workshop
– Artistic website (if applicable)
For more information or to apply please contact us at email@example.com